Tuesday, June 16, 2009

This One's for You Dad!

My dad's favorite type of jokes are plays on words, so because these jokes have been engrained in my DNA, I just couldn't help myself when we were in Uganda and we drove by the source of the Nile. I just couldn't stop it from coming out of my mouth "Denial ain't just a river in Egypt." A few snickers from our team, Wells of Hope team... silence. I should have stopped there, but Emma our Ugandan friend asked, "Does anyone know where the Nile (de-nial) comes from?" And I said, "It comes from not accepting the truth." Emma said, "No, I accept the truth." I started to try and explain that I know he accepts the truth, and as I envisioned the rest of the conversation in my head, I just ended with "nevermind." So lesson learned: Play on word jokes do not work when English is the 2nd language. (Dad, take note as we will be traveling to Mexico in July. You may need to start coming up with some new material)

Gabe with Emma, our Ugandan friend who accepts the truth!

No comments:

Post a Comment